Featured Work

 
 
Photo: Javier Alvarez

Photo: Javier Alvarez

Colorado 20/20 (Ongoing)

According to the Center for American Progress, by the 2020 presidential election, millennials will be largest voting population, making up around forty percent of the electorate. If there is one thing we can all agree on in politics, it’s that our country is divided. What is less certain is where the future of our country is headed. Exactly how millennials will influence our collective future is the question that this project aims to uncover.

Through interviews across Colorado; a rodeo in Monte Vista, the Southern Ute Bear Dance Powwow in Ignacio, high schools across rural and urban communities, and with representatives from both the Young Republicans and Young Democrats of Colorado, this project’s focus is to humanize some of the voices of the young population in order to better understand their beliefs, where those beliefs came from, and ultimately, how they might influence the next election.

 
 
Photo: Courtesy of AFRIpads

Photo: Courtesy of AFRIpads

Reusable Sanitary Pads Help Keep East African Girls in School. Period.


Month after month, millions of women and girls around the world resort to managing their period with pieces of mattress, newspaper, or even tree bark because they lack access to or cannot afford proper sanitation products. For many of these girls, getting their period means putting their life on hold. Paul and Sophia Grinvalds, husband and wife, and co-founders of AFRIpads, experienced this firsthand while living in a remote village in western Uganda. When Sophia needed menstrual products, they discovered that a critical gap existed between makeshift solutions and expensive sanitary pads, which were largely inaccessible. The pair then turned to the community to learn more about the impact this issue has had on local women and girls.

 
 
Photo: Courtesy of Karadi Path

Photo: Courtesy of Karadi Path

The Whole World Is Learning Language Wrong, and Now We Know Why

Although the national official language is Hindi, Hindi-speakers only account for 30 percent of the nation’s 1.2 billion person population, with myriad dialects comprising that percentage. The other 70 percent of the country speaks a multitude of languages, shaped by the cultural diversity of each of its 28 states. C.P. (Vish) and Shobha Viswanath, who co-founded Karadi Path with Narayan Parasuram, noticed when their son started school that not only did this language gap exist for students trying to learn English, but also that the fundamental pedagogy for teaching languages was all wrong.

 
 
Photo: Courtesy of Insane Logic

Photo: Courtesy of Insane Logic

This Tablet App Helps Those With Learning Disabilities Communicate Better

When Steve Jobs announced the launch of the iPad in 2010, some saw it as a fun gadget and nothing more. Yet for Zoe Peden and Andrew Jackman, Co-Founders of Insane Logic, the unique size of the iPad presented a business opportunity with vast potential. “A mobile phone wasn’t robust enough for the dexterity of those with learning disabilities,” Peden says. “When I saw the size of Jobs’ hand next to the screen of the iPad, I knew this was it. So we flew to New York to get one of the first ones.”

 
 
Photo: Courtesy of GO

Photo: Courtesy of GO

Nothing to Lose, Everything to Gain: Women Entrepreneurs in Turkey

According to TurkStat, as of 2012, only 7.5% of entrepreneurs in Turkey are women and in the WEF’s gender gap index, Turkey ranked 127 out of 136 in terms of economic empowerment. Yet, digging into that 7.5%, you will find a community of women entrepreneurs that are not only highly ambitious and innovative, but drivers of the most underutilized asset of developing the Turkish economy.